Official BF Editor Forums
[DICE]LexLuther

How To Make A Scale 4 Map

This made me crazy when I was developing Rise of Kobol. Being at DICE I have learned a lot so here is my first contribution I'd like to share.

File: terrain.con in your map folder. Add this line of code to the end of the file above endif.

terrainCuller.setUseStitchedLods 0

if v_arg1 == BF2Editor

terrain.create TerrainEditable

terrain.patchSize 128

terrain.subdividePatches 1

terrain.primaryWorldScale 4/0.0025/4

terrain.secondaryWorldScale 16/0.64/16

terrain.patchColormapSize 512

terrain.lowDetailmapSize 512

terrain.detailmapBaseName "Levels/YourMap/Detailmaps/tx"

terrain.lowDetailmapBaseName "Levels/YourMap/LowDetailmaps/tx"

terrain.colormapBaseName "Levels/YourMap/Colormaps/tx"

terrain.lightmapBaseName "Levels/YourMap/Lightmaps/tx"

terrain.farSideTiling 2/2

terrain.farTopTilingHi 16

terrain.farTopTilingLow 32

terrain.farYOffset 0

terrain.terrainWaterColor 0/0/0

terrain.init

else

terrain.create Terrain

terrain.load Levels/YourMap/terraindata.raw

terrainCuller.setUseStitchedLods 0

endIf

Wow thanks Lex. Without an inside man (ex modder) we would never be privy to this kind of information. Thanks and if you find out more undisclosed tid bits please share, pity this info wasn't available a year ago.

Topic Pinned.

Edited by [BF:A] Croupier

woot? is that all??? ive been playing around with the fecking terraindata.raw file for all this time and i only need to add one line to anouther fecking file???

Thanks man!!

I should have posted sooner about this but this scale 4 map works great in the editor and ingame with one exception. The shadows under the jets seem borked. Has anyone noticed this or found a way around it??

screen034ww8.th.jpg

Edited by 11FG Clooney

it seems to happen on both ATI and nVidia

LexLuther, you seem to be our best hope in solving this - if you've already seen this issue but are unsure about a fix, could you please let us know by posting here? otherwise we'll still be waiting for you to cruise by and save the day... :) thnx

the issue seems to occur with both jets and helis though not the parachute - does that give us a helpful clue? (does the parachute even cast a shadow?)

aint happening for me and i have a ATI Sapphire x1950pro 256mbs :)

thou im getting anouther wired bug...

Edited by Rhino

I'm looking into this, but no promises of a fix.

cheers lex!! while you are at it can you look into this problem aswell.

on my ATI Sapphire x1950pro 256mbs in the editor, and ingame on my 4km map when im near the edge of my map i get a wired moddel clipping bug with all models, vbf2 and custom, roads etc where parts of the models just flsh though the next.... best exsample i could get with a SS was these heli pads where the terrain is perfectly flat, but if you move your cap you see a flash though of the terrain under neath...

untitledeb3.jpg

but on a nVidia card this did not apear to happen...

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/Ejo...t/helirhino.gif

cheers :)

cheers lex!! while you are at it can you look into this problem aswell.

on my ATI Sapphire x1950pro 256mbs in the editor, and ingame on my 4km map when im near the edge of my map i get a wired moddel clipping bug with all models, vbf2 and custom, roads etc where parts of the models just flsh though the next.... best exsample i could get with a SS was these heli pads where the terrain is perfectly flat, but if you move your cap you see a flash though of the terrain under neath...

but on a nVidia card this did not apear to happen...

cheers :)

Please understand BF2 and BF2142 are built using Nvida rendering and any specific ATi issues are not fixable on our end. Sorry.

Please understand BF2 and BF2142 are built using Nvida rendering and any specific ATi issues are not fixable on our end. Sorry.

Ye I know, but if you find a fix for it along the way plz let me know :)

I think its only ATI related, but i cant be for sure. and that shaddow bug above looks only nVidida related from what i can see aswell so ye, the fix you may find, if you find one may fix both probs :P

anyways thanks for all the help sofar aswell! its good to know that ecleast someone in DiCE is willing to give up a bit of there free time to help us :D

Edited by Rhino

I don't see how one would build using nvidia rendering when you have directx as the medium through which all video cards get their directions via a standard api, only difference is the shader languages and differences between the video cards at shaders. In that case, shader problems can be fixed quite easily, only if the shaders werent hardcoded to paths or encoded...

For more than a year ATI promises to fix issues with ATI cards in BF2/2142 . They even wildly lied saying that they are in contact with DICE to solve shadowing issues . Some examples:

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswe...uestionID=22635

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswe...uestionID=21263

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswe...uestionID=19898

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswe...uestionID=21648

Total Battlefield 2: Blocky Shadows on Dynamic and Moving Objects

The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):

* Battlefield 2

* Radeon X800 and X850 Series

During online gameplay, users may experience blocky shadows on dynamic and moving objects. This issue does not occur on static objects such as trees.

ATI Engineering is currently working with EA and DICE on a solution. Any updates will be published when they become available.

They of course were never published - and the issue is still there (and its on my 9800 pro as well, not only on the X800/850 ) Now we know that they were never in Contact with DICE :angry:

For more than a year ATI promises to fix issues with ATI cards in BF2/2142 . They even wildly lied saying that they are in contact with DICE to solve shadowing issues . Some examples:

They of course were never published - and the issue is still there (and its on my 9800 pro as well, not only on the X800/850 ) Now we know that they were never in Contact with DICE :angry:

That is not true, please don't assume or read between the lines.

@mschoeldgen, thats why hackers got creative and made a tool for bf2 to inject working shaders that fix the shadows themselves instead of waiting for a patch from someone, though punkbuster detects it.

That is not true, please don't assume or read between the lines.

So you were in contact ? May the fruitful results be published soon :D

My game package says the game needs a 128 MB graphics card with pixel shader 1.4 and thats what i have. Why shouldn't i enjoy the same graphics quality as my NVidia fellows ? Lets tell the truth: NVidia is currently trying to aggressively take over the market by convincing developers to go the nvidia way.I don't know the means by which they accomplish it but the politics seem to work. The customer will be the fool again.

Thanks for nothing :(

i just wanted to clarify something, before this goes too off-track: i have the scale 4 map black shadow bug, and yes i am running an ATI X800 pro. but Kysterama has also reported it, and he is running a nVidia 7800GT. it appears to me that this is not only an ATI-specific issue.

thats why hackers got creative and made a tool for bf2 to inject working shaders that fix the shadows themselves instead of waiting for a patch from someone

what tool, CheetahShrk? is there something publicly available that might help with this problem? (or any other problems, for that matter) - any chance of a link, or a name i can search for?

Edited by clivewil

Yup, 7800gt with everything on high on a 4x map

4x_shadow.jpg

At first i though it just happenned on undergrowth, but watching back in battlerecorder, it happens only on terrain. I still get a perfect shadow of the jet, but with all the crazy black artifacts as well. So cheer up mschoeldgen, your nvidia brethren are having trouble with this too ;)

Edited by kysterama

Yup, 7800gt with everything on high on a 4x map

4x_shadow.jpg

At first i though it just happenned on undergrowth, but watching back in battlerecorder, it happens only on terrain. I still get a perfect shadow of the jet, but with all the crazy black artifacts as well. So cheer up mschoeldgen, your nvidia brethren are having trouble with this too ;)

I have asked those in the know and since this wasn't supported it is an after affect we'll have to deal with. I will keep my ear to the floor for any answers.

we would appreciate any possible work arounds you could find out about this bug lex :D

even if you could find out if its possible to disable the terrain shadow generated by aircraft/choppers on 1024x4 maps.

thanks in advance.

(FYI, bug was present on 9800pro, 6800gt & 7950gx2 so its definately not an Ati/Nvidia issue)