Official BF Editor Forums
LeViaTHaN74

Real Instructions On How To Get Bf2142 Levels To Load In Bf2 Editor. (including Unpacker)

Nope, your way is fine. just unpack what you want, and make sure you remove the read-only attributes from all the files.

Also, in the \Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\Levels\levelname (all maps) there is a file called init.con

edit the line that says "run EDITOR/StaticObjects.con BF2Editor"

and make it "run StaticObjects.con BF2Editor"

Copy a blank text file named "layers.con" into the \Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\Levels\Belgrade\EDITOR directory.

provided you unpacked everything correctly, it should load levels in.

the 2 "revised" files work first time, every time.

and when you say

Also, in the \Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\Levels\levelname (all maps) there is a file called init.con

Copy a blank text file named "layers.con" into the \Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\Levels\Belgrade\EDITOR directory.

you mean like in my BF2\mods\bf2142\levels - right?

or did you really mean go into my Battlefield 2142 game's directory

how will that effect whats going on in my bf2 mods folder for the editor? sorry I just don't want BF2142 messed up when I play online.

You most likely know what your talking about lol I just need some reassurance

Edited by |]Citadel[|

Battlefield 2142 does not referance bf2/mods/bf2142 at all so it shouldn't interfere with your game. Only when you modify the base 2142 content would it matter.

and when you say

you mean like in my BF2\mods\bf2142\levels - right?

or did you really mean go into my Battlefield 2142 game's directory

how will that effect whats going on in my bf2 mods folder for the editor? sorry I just don't want BF2142 messed up when I play online.

You most likely know what your talking about lol I just need some reassurance

I was sure I put enough detail into that instruction, but hey, maybe not,

Attempt #2 :

1) Also, in the Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\Levels\MAPNAME ( ALL maps) there is a file called init.con

Save it and exit.

YOU MUST DO THIS ON EVERY MAP.

2) Copy a blank text file named "layers.con" into the" \Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\Levels\MAPNAME\EDITOR" Directory. If there is not a directory there, make one.

- you mean like in my BF2\mods\bf2142\levels - right?

No, otherwise I would have typed that... Battlefield 2142 does not follow the exact same directory structure as Battlefield 2.

There was much speculation as to whether or not Battlefield 2142 was "Just a Battlefield 2 Mod".

The answer is no, its not. Essentially its the same, based on the orginal engine, much like I.D. Software did with all the variations of the Quake engines.

You can not EASILY Mix and match Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 stuff. It can be done, and I even know how..mostly, but I will not help you to do it.

- how will that effect whats going on in my bf2 mods folder for the editor? sorry I just don't want BF2142 messed up when I play online.

Errr, If you read this entire thread, one of the first sentences I said, is I RECOMMEND MAKING A COMPLETE BACKUP

And like jeffreyrichey said above, "Battlefield 2142 does not referance bf2/mods/bf2142 at all so it shouldn't interfere with your game. Only when you modify the base 2142 content would it matter."

He is absolutly correct.

For your own sake, DONT use the one you are planning to use online. Copy the entire \Battlefield 2142 directory to another place, and put the editor etc in that. Modify THAT. not your original install.

Seriously though, I really think you are going about this the wrong way. I recommend downloading these 2 files I have created, and you literally "Install BF2142" then, "Run Pt.1" and "Run Pt.2"

then it works. I didnt create these files for people to pick and choose what "part" they want to use. Its meant to be used together, I did it like that for a reason...the reason ? it works.

If all the info in this reply does not help, All I can suggest is you re-evaluate what you are doing and what you hope to achieve. These tools are not "the" answer to a 2142 editor, but its a step in that direction. I originally made them for myself, then others showed some interest, so I posted them here.

Also, this thread was intended to be "about" these tools I have created, not how you can NOT use them..so, maybe you're in the wrong thread ?

I hope for your sake you are not using this as a "starting point" for mapping. It is imperative that you learn how to make\edit maps in Battlefield 2 BEFORE you even attempt this.

Anyway, I hope my above reply helped.

Cheers :)

Edited by LeViaTHaN74

Additionally its worth noting that you do not need to complete these 2 steps unless you intend to open up any of the vanilla 2142 maps in the editor. Unless I'm missing something because I set up the editor for 2142 slightly differently.

2) Copy a blank text file named "layers.con" into the" \Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\Levels\MAPNAME\EDITOR" Directory. If there is not a directory there, make one.

Seriously though, I really think you are going about this the wrong way. I recommend downloading these 2 files I have created, and you literally "Install BF2142" then, "Run Pt.1" and "Run Pt.2"

then it works.

ji leviathan nice guide, tried your unpacking software, part 1 with fresh install, in the objects the unpack just makes the folders with sub folders nothing else in them also i couldn't find the layers.con file that you mentioned even searched through xp search before i tried a fresh reinstall no such luck, the iniit.con file you mentioned editing was in the server file of belgrade map

Edited by Chaos_Marine

@ jeffreyrichey

I already am able to make bf2142 maps in the editor using your method. I just want to be able to load vanilla maps to see all the settings chosen, because what is shown in the sky.con and what you are able to do in the editor through various menus are expressed differently. If this becomes too much of a problem then I will not bother anymore.

@ Chaos_Marine

I think your suppose to make your own layers.con if need be.

on the first post I noticed that LeViaTHaN74 is working on 2 problems...

- Fixed some objects\materials not being unpacked using the batch file.

- Reference to the staticobjects.con file was wrong in the init.con files (all of them)

so hope that helps a bit

@ LeViaTHaN74

I believe I have done everything correctly that you mentioned from your recent reply.

This means I have copied the Battlefield 2142 directory and followed your steps from your first post.

everything was unzipped correctly with out any anomalies or error messages. However now

that Chaos_Marine points it out. When Unpacking of objects is done I too only have folders but no files.

I thought that it was my fault and I had unzipped part 1 in the wrong place.

-also when I try to load a bf2142 vanilla map into the editor I get an error "Failed to init grid!" and the editor crashes.

this is using the Battlefield 2142 copied directory. if I manually unpack the object's folders inside and try again, those files start to load but when the editor gets to the init file it crashes with the same error mentioned.

Additionally, the level unpacked does not work also, this is with a fresh unpatched copy of 2142 like you mentioned in a reply to install 2142 run unzip 1 then 2. then it should work. Hasn't for me thus far.

@ jeffreyrichey

I already am able to make bf2142 maps in the editor using your method. I just want to be able to load vanilla maps to see all the settings chosen, because what is shown in the sky.con and what you are able to do in the editor through various menus are expressed differently. If this becomes too much of a problem then I will not bother anymore.

@ Chaos_Marine

I think your suppose to make your own layers.con if need be.

on the first post I noticed that LeViaTHaN74 is working on 2 problems...

- Fixed some objects\materials not being unpacked using the batch file.

- Reference to the staticobjects.con file was wrong in the init.con files (all of them)

so hope that helps a bit

@ LeViaTHaN74

I believe I have done everything correctly that you mentioned from your recent reply.

This means I have copied the Battlefield 2142 directory and followed your steps from your first post.

everything was unzipped correctly with out any anomalies or error messages. However now

that Chaos_Marine points it out. When Unpacking of objects is done I too only have folders but no files.

-also when I try to load a bf2142 vanilla map into the editor I get an error "Failed to init grid!" and the editor crashes.

this is using the Battlefield 2142 copied directory. if I manually unpack the object's folders inside and try again, those files start to load but when the editor gets to the init file it crashes with the same error mentioned.

Had any luck with being able to load up th vanilla maps? I too was trying to get them to work hence the refernce to the layers.con file. ok i found the editor folder with layers.con, do I need to unzip the files in client and server or will they run as their zip format

Edited by Chaos_Marine

Had any luck with being able to load up th vanilla maps? I too was trying to get them to work hence the refernce to the layers.con file. ok i found the editor folder with layers.con, do I need to unzip the files in client and server or will they run as their zip format

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1535/bf2sidibh0.jpg

This is using the method that everyone else on this thread has used.

You must be doing something wrong, cos ALOT of people have done this, and not had a problem.

I'd like to help you to NOT use my tools, but that seems a bit pointless.

I've given full instructions. If you cannot follow simple instructions, I cannot help you any further.

This site\thread may be some use to you.

http://battlefieldsingleplayer.planetbattl...amp;#entry57697

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1535/bf2sidibh0.jpg

This is using the method that everyone else on this thread has used.

You must be doing something wrong, cos ALOT of people have done this, and not had a problem.

I'd like to help you to NOT use my tools, but that seems a bit pointless.

I've given full instructions. If you cannot follow simple instructions, I cannot help you any further.

This following site\thread may be some use to you.

http://battlefieldsingleplayer.planetbattl...amp;#entry57697

@ jeffreyrichey

@ LeViaTHaN74

Depending on the version of winzip, maybe my batch commands arent working ? not sure, it seems to work for me and the others here.

You may want to Extract the files manually, yourself using your OWN unpacker, so in saying that :

If you locate the \Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\Objects you will see how I extract the files and to where.

copy ..\Common_client.zip Common_client2.zip <--- copies the files from previous directory (down 1 level)

copy ..\Common_server.zip Common_server2.zip <--- copies the files from previous directory (down 1 level)

PKUNZIP -e -d -o COMMON*.ZIP *.* COMMON <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from both _Client.zip and _Server.zip files, with recursive subdirectories. To Destination COMMON

PKUNZIP -e -d -o Effect*.zip *.* EFFECTS <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from both _Client.zip and _Server.zip files, with recursive subdirectories. To Destination EFFECTS

PKUNZIP -e -d -o Kits_s*.zip *.* KITS <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from both _Client.zip and _Server.zip files, with recursive subdirectories. To Destination etc

PKUNZIP -e -d -o Roads_*.zip *.* ROADS <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from both _Client.zip and _Server.zip files, with recursive subdirectories. etc

PKUNZIP -e -d -o Soldie*.zip *.* SOLDIERS <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from both _Client.zip and _Server.zip files, with recursive subdirectories. etc

PKUNZIP -e -d -o Static*.zip *.* STATIC~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from both _Client.zip and _Server.zip files, with recursive subdirectories. etc

PKUNZIP -e -d -o Vegita*.zip *.* VEGITA~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from both _Client.zip and _Server.zip files, with recursive subdirectories. etc

PKUNZIP -e -d -o Vehicl*.zip *.* VEHICLES <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from both _Client.zip and _Server.zip files, with recursive subdirectories. etc

PKUNZIP -e -d -o Water_*.zip *.* WATER <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from both _Client.zip and _Server.zip files, with recursive subdirectories. etc

PKUNZIP -e -d -o Weapon*.zip *.* WEAPONS <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from both _Client.zip and _Server.zip files, with recursive subdirectories. etc

and this in the Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\Levels\Unpack.bat,

PKUNZIP -e -d -o BELGRADE\CLIENT.ZIP BELGRADE <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Client.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o BELGRADE\SERVER.ZIP BELGRADE <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Server.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o CAMP_G~1\CLIENT.ZIP CAMP_G~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Client.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o CAMP_G~1\SERVER.ZIP CAMP_G~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Server.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o CERBER~1\CLIENT.ZIP CERBER~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Client.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o CERBER~1\SERVER.ZIP CERBER~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Server.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o FALL_O~1\CLIENT.ZIP FALL_O~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Client.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o FALL_O~1\SERVER.ZIP FALL_O~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Server.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o MINSK\CLIENT.ZIP MINSK <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Client.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o MINSK\SERVER.ZIP MINSK <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Server.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o SHUHIA~1\CLIENT.ZIP SHUHIA~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Client.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o SHUHIA~1\SERVER.ZIP SHUHIA~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Server.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o SIDI_P~1\CLIENT.ZIP SIDI_P~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Client.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o SIDI_P~1\SERVER.ZIP SIDI_P~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Server.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o SUEZ_C~1\CLIENT.ZIP SUEZ_C~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Client.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o SUEZ_C~1\SERVER.ZIP SUEZ_C~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Server.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o TUNIS_~1\CLIENT.ZIP TUNIS_~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Client.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o TUNIS_~1\SERVER.ZIP TUNIS_~1 <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Server.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o VERDUN\CLIENT.ZIP VERDUN <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Client.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

PKUNZIP -e -d -o VERDUN\SERVER.ZIP VERDUN <--- Unpack all files AND directories, from Server.zip file, with recursive subdirectories. etc to Destination Mapname.

You must remove ALL Read-only attributes on each individual file (another reason I chose a DOS unpacker)

In a dos prompt, you can change to the directory and type "attrib -r -a -s -h" (no, im not teaching you DOS...)

This will remove remove all the attributes of "read only, archive, system file, and hidden", which covers all bases.

The weird directory names e.g. TUNIS_~1, if you did not know are Dos's way of interpreting Long file names. In Windows, the filenames appear correctly in their long form, but DOS cannot interpret Long filenames or Long Directory names due to an 8 character limit on the names.

I really hope this helps, Because I dont have a massive amount of time on answering questions, unless these tools really dont work.

I tested these tools thoroughly, and did not paste the link to them until I had done so (~ 2 days), so I dont understand just what is going on.

Maybe its a different O/S problem ?

Im Using Windows XP Pro with SP2, and it works great. Over and over, and over. I have even had people impressed enough they have requested if they can copy the tools and distribute them via other sites.

I have had people request I continue my work on this editor, and make a full modified\working editor that does "everything" including instruction manual etc.

So far my request for help on that has gained "1" response.

Anyway, back on topic, If doing the above does NOT help, I'm not sure I can help you any further, because I dont see just WHAT is going on >_>

Edited by LeViaTHaN74

Sorry for my arrogance leviathan, before i was using a the 2142 mod patched to 1.20 so the 2nd unzip wasn't working, i'm using windows xp home edition patched with service pack 2. I had the init grid error that citadel had when trying to open the levels, probably for the reason that they were still in the zipped content, also my objects folders are 19 instead on 10, such as have the bp_1 folders seperate.

I noticed that some of the addition content from northern strike does not render with the unpatched version, however it could be that they aren't in the right folder or they need to be patched to 1.2. I shall try the method that you have included in the recent thread, by the looks of it, with it should work.

btw is there any way of getting the materials to show more than two items such as the asphult and the mountains texture.

btw is there any way of getting the materials to show more than two items such as the asphult and the mountains texture.

I dont know, I find it frustrating as hell that the textures are'nt turning up in the side panel.

If you find the solution, re-quote yourself, and paste the answer.

ok, with the textures not showing on the map, just select your textures, move the cursor around, then change from grid texture to materialmap, it will show you where you have painted in blue, save the map then reload it, the textures will now show as the colour texures , it gives you 8 to choose from, are there any more than 8? apart from that i'm impressed with your work so far.

Just a quick question how would you go about unpacking the nothern strike maps or other mod maps?

I got it to work now! through LeViaTHaN74 tutorial and after viewing what files were made and unpacked I was also able to do it to my original setup in ea games/battlefield 2/mods/bf2142. I also got northern strike maps to load but all the objects and buildings in northern strike have the same f'd up white colored texture. apparently it can't find the right textures?

I would also like to say thank you to LeViaTHaN74, Chaos_Marine and jeffreyrichey for your guys help.

Edited by |]Citadel[|

Just a quick question how would you go about unpacking the nothern strike maps or other mod maps?

Same as I have unpacked the other maps. straight to the mapname directory with recursive sub-directories.

Make sure you remove all the read-only attributes (use DOS, its easier)

the command line is attrib -r -a -s -h /s

I would love to be able to start making maps for the First Strike mod (2142 based). What method can you suggest to get that mod in the editor to start playing with that? Would one have to re write the unpak.bat to reflect the First Strike directory of objects?

I am working on a script using the free NSIS installer program that will extract all the files and set up BF2142 for use in the BF2 editor.

I am working on one for First Strike as well.

Just a few clean up touches and it will be ready. Its a windows tool that will be less then 200kbs.

I am working on a script using the free NSIS installer program that will extract all the files and set up BF2142 for use in the BF2 editor.

I am working on one for First Strike as well.

Just a few clean up touches and it will be ready. Its a windows tool that will be less then 200kbs.

Message me when you're done, and i'll stick the links in the first post.

LeViaTHaN

NSIS is so freakin powerful. With an unzip plugin it can do everything that is needed and more. I am trying to make this process as simple as possible. So far I am able to do the following:

- read the registry for the installation directories for BF2 and BF2142 and use those for the installation.

- check that BF2, BF2142, and the BF2 editor are all installed and abort with an error message if not.

- Set up a custom desktop shortcut for the BF2 editor that is set up to load the mod into the editor.

- Set up the mod in BF2

- Copy over the non zip files into the BF2 mod.

- Extract the needed BF2142 zip files into BF2.

I still need to create the objectspawnerdef and levelsettings and set them up to be installed.

Here is the test version:

http://files.filefront.com/BF2142+BF2Edito...;/fileinfo.html

Next version, I am going to replace the mechs with clivewells blocks, since the mechs have issues with BF2editor. Then set it up to handle the Northern Strike stuff, and finally have an option to set up the BF2142 maps.

Edited by Dnamro

NOTE:

You need WinZIP 11.0 to get it work. Now, WZ 11.2 is out but it won't work.

Download 11.0 here: http://www.gold-software.com/WinZip-file1347.html and choose for the commandline plugin the one with 11.0 support.

Works fine!

Here are the updated .bat files for levs way:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I4IRZDX1

just copy the content of the archive to your bf2142 mod directory and launch the new batches.

thanks, senthor

Edited by senthor

NOTE:

You need WinZIP 11.0 to get it work. Now, WZ 11.2 is out but it won't work.

Download 11.0 here: http://www.gold-software.com/WinZip-file1347.html and choose for the commandline plugin the one with 11.0 support.

Works fine!

Here are the updated .bat files for levs way:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I4IRZDX1

just copy the content of the archive to your bf2142 mod directory and launch the new batches.

thanks, senthor

Thanks for keeping the thread alive. Your notes now posted in 1st post.

-Lev

Hey :)

Sorry if i missed it, but i am not abel to load Camp Gibraltar Map :P

It gives me Failed to Load InitGrid and closes

In that Console below it tells

(Console)	 :	 Couldn't open console script "levels/camp_gibraltar/Heightdata.con"
Ignored Warning(Physics)	:   No primary heightmap added

I think i have done everything correctly

EDIT!: Got it working After extracting all files from server.zip to \Levels\Camp_Gibraltar folder but isnt there anyway that it could open server.zip itself ?? :)

BTW what i have to do with that Part2.exe file after extracting???

Cheers, DaddyStrikes

Edited by DaddyStrikes

Yea you have to extract both client and server zips of a map before you can open it in the editor, beware that altering dice maps is quite advanced, i expect many question like why is my terrain black and more...