Official BF Editor Forums

Basic Checking of Crash Problems.

If you are experiencing endless crashing at the same moment every single time with a custom map try running in window mode by adding the command line +fullscreen 0..

Go ahead and launch and it should be in windowed mode.

Attempt to load your map and let it sit until it crashes.

An error should come up.

If it says something about materials try checking your materials folder and look for unknown material names and try MOVING them and try again.

Ive had countless problems on materials and simply deleting the things in the folder fixed the problem.

When you get the error message look for KEY words such as the following:

Terrain

Texture

Material

Bad Angle

Things like that will help you out ALOT.

Say you see a bad angle key word in the error message try checking a ladder thats placed improperly or the Bounding box is improperly in another mesh,static object,or terrain.

If you still cannot find out what the problem is post it here and im sure people will assist you including me.

New Problems NOT By me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a custom map. When I go to load it when I run BF2.exe it crashes when loading objects. But when I try to run BF2_r.exe in windowed mode to tell what the specific problem is - the map loads 100% and I am able to play it without a problem. Does anyone know why I could be having this problem.I fixed my problem. when I first started my map I was screwing around with undergrowth. so I had multiple crap undergrowth files (since I didnt do it correctly) - I just deleted them and now it works fine.

Makaveli: " So if your having that problem as above try checking the undergrowth files and make sure u dont have any unneccesary ones."

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

USA1228:

I just finished the first two tutorials that came with the mod tutorials. I tried to load the map and it bombed on me. I tried to load other maps that came with bf2 and it worked fine. When it crashes it loads and then when i press join game or escape it goes and bombs on me. If it helps i will give you my comp specs.

Makaveli/McLamb: "If you have a problem with the same symptoms as USA1228 then try putting your settings to medium.Several Maps dont work on low settings and will crash on your periodically or regularly.BUT you can put it on any resolution so the settings shouldnt be a problem even with the worst cards out there. So lower your resolution and raise to at least medium if you have a low end Computer."

[ROK]pixelat3d:"Make sure that your game is not set to low settings,Please set everything to at least medium.

If that does not work, please load your Map with BF2_r.exe and run it in windowed mode (+fullscreen 0) and post spcefic questions about the asserts you receive.

Thanks guys and gals."

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~--~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• 5 weeks later...

I had the error also when it loaded to 100% and then clicked join it would crash to desktop. I found that if you want it to work you need to change your video settings to medium if they are on low and to fix the problem you need to generate low detail textures.

• 4 years later...

Hi. I'm really new to all this stuff, but i want to get into it. When i try to load a map i made, it loads up to 15% then crashes. I've tried to follow all the steps posted on saving and "packing" the map, but it doesn't work. I tried the window mode but the screen was screwed up and i couldn't join the game because the button was too far down to where i couldn't select "join." I ran it in BF2_r and it worked somewhat. But the terrain was plain like it hadn't saved. So can someone either help me out or redirect me to an already posted solution. thanks

Hint No.1 : Don't pack your map . Its not necessary for the game to load it and it stands in the way of interactively editing and trying out your map. Delete server.zip and client.zip now . The game will happily load your unpacked map . Only pack the map when everything works and it is ready for network testing.

I think your main problem now is that you never created lowdetailmaps or ( unlikely ) you have made a map with the same name as an existing one.

Your map needs the full set of textures ( color, detail and lowdetail maps ) before the game will load it in all video settings.

Hint No.1 : Don't pack your map . Its not necessary for the game to load it and it stands in the way of interactively editing and trying out your map. Delete server.zip and client.zip now . The game will happily load your unpacked map . Only pack the map when everything works and it is ready for network testing.

I think your main problem now is that you never created lowdetailmaps or ( unlikely ) you have made a map with the same name as an existing one.

Your map needs the full set of textures ( color, detail and lowdetail maps ) before the game will load it in all video settings.

Thanks. I think it's probably the lowdetailmaps thing. I had tried to follow some of the tutorials to the letter, but for some reason, my sound went out on battlefield so i just re-installed it today. I'll give it a try again sometime.