Official BF Editor Forums
jeffreyrichey

Working With 2142 In The Editor

*Update Feb 5, 2007

March 13, 2007

March 28, 2007 (Added NS content)

Heres what I did to get 2142 working (in conquest mode) in the editor. At the end I also include object template lists, how to set up teams, and get weather working.

copy your 2142 mod folder (electronic arts/battlefield 2142/mods/bf2142)

paste it in your BF2 mod folder (ea games/battlefield 2/mods)

on my desktop I then created a folder named after each folder in (ea games/ battlefield 2/mods/bf2142/objects)

for example effects, kits, static objects, etc

unziped each file into its corresponding folder. For example unzip the effects_client and effects_server zips into the 'effects' folder on your desktop. Unzip the staticobjects_client and staticobjects_server folders into your 'staticobjects' folder on your desktop.

Theres alot of files there to move around. To speed up the process right click the server and client zips, highlight 'extract files' and extract them to the right folder on your desktop. That way they will all extract to the appropriate sub folders without rewriting anything. You SHOULD NOT overwrite anything. If you are asked if you want to you did something wrong.

After all the folders are unpacked into the right folders on your desktop take those desktop folders and place them in your objects folder so that you have the client and server zips plus the unpacked folders.

Next fire up the editor, select bf2142 for your mod. Let it load. Next on the top select 'mod' and highlight 'mod manager' release.

Select the editor content tab. Click each box in the left hand side box so that it is grey/filled in. (The box is a list with related folders to load into the editor. For example common, effects, kits, roads, etc. DO NOT click apply. Click Ok at the bottom. If you click ok you will have to load everything twice. Not a major problem buy a pain and a waste of your valuable time. Clicking OK loads everything plus closes the box when finished.

When thats done create a level like normal. I suggest starting with a small map. 256. Until you know you have everything working. Do a a little painting. Note that there are a billion new detail textures but only 2 color textures. Who knows why. Make a bit of terrain. Add some flags with spawn points. Save, quit.

Now edit your teams like you did before. Open another maps init.con file. Replace the team settings with the team settings I included at the end of this tutorial.

save the init.con file

NOTE- for some reason the editor does not save the team settings. Every time you load the map into the editor you will need to redo the init.con team settings.

(or) you can also set the init.con to read only. Make sure you select no when asked to make init.con rewritable. (Thanks Xaritix for clarification)

Next take your entire map (ea games/battlefield2/mods/bf2142/levels/Your_map) and copy it. Past onto your desktop or just move it onto your desktop. Just make sure you don't still have it in your bf2 mods folder. If you do you might have problems with the game trying to reference the wrong files. For example you don't want to have the same map in multiple places. I hope you understand remotely what I mean.

Place your map in your base 2142 levels folder. (electronic arts/battlefield2142/mods/bf2142/levels)

Recheck you init.con again to make sure the team setting are correct.

Fire up 2142! Create a local game. Make sure you have conquest selected in the drop down list for game modes otherwise you wont see it (unless of course you set up the map for another game mode. But for a first map I would just do conquest since its the simplest to do.

With lots of modders luck (which unfortunately is always low) your map will run. To edit the map more move the map back into your bf2/mods/bf2142/levels directory. Rinse and repeat. REMEMBER that you must redo your init.con team settings each time you edit your map. Do this last. (Unless your init.con is read-only of course.)

IF IT DOES NOT RUN

*Make sure your bf2142 is updated to current patch.

*Make sure your mod files are up to date with the current patch

To add vehicles-

Note: Walker will not work. Adding a walker results in a dump file crash when loading the map.

In the editor add object/vehicle spawn points. Select a bf2 vehicle. Or even leave it with no vehicle if you want. Doesn't matter.

When finished save and close the editor.

Open up you gameplayobjects.con on your maps editor folder. Find the vehicle spawn point. looks like this >>

rem ********** Object Spawner **********

rem [ObjectSpawnerTemplate: Comm_Station_CH_US_HeavyJeep]

ObjectTemplate.create ObjectSpawner Comm_Station_CH_US_HeavyJeep

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe ObjectSpawner Comm_Station_CH_US_HeavyJeep

ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser "Jeff Richey"

ObjectTemplate.isNotSaveable 1

ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 0

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 JEP_NANJING <<<<<<<<<<<< This is the name of the vehicle that will spawn

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 USJEP_HMMWV

Replace the name of the vehicle with the 2142 vehicle you want.

So now something like this:

rem [ObjectSpawnerTemplate: Comm_Station_CH_US_HeavyJeep]

ObjectTemplate.create ObjectSpawner Comm_Station_CH_US_HeavyJeep

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe ObjectSpawner Comm_Station_CH_US_HeavyJeep

ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser "Jeff Richey"

ObjectTemplate.isNotSaveable 1

ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 0

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 as_fav

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 eu_fav

ObjectTemplate.maxSpawnDelay 30

BF2142 adds an additional line to the end (ObjectTemplate.maxSpawnDelay #)

Its self explanatory as to what that does.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weather: See this thread

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9270

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting TITAN mode to work, more or less.. (Thanks Sir.Darthmaster!)

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9220

2142 TEAM SETINGS

I suggest saving this info on a notepad file on your desktop so you can easily copy and past it into your maps.

gameLogic.setTeamName 1 "Pac"

gameLogic.setTeamName 2 "EU"

gameLogic.setTeamLanguage 1 "Russian"

gameLogic.setTeamLanguage 2 "English"

gameLogic.setTeamFlag 0 "flag_neutral"

gameLogic.setTeamFlag 1 "flag_Pac"

gameLogic.setTeamFlag 2 "flag_EU"

gameLogic.setKit 1 0 "Pac_Recon" "pac_light_soldier" "pac_heavy_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 2 0 "EU_Recon" "us_light_soldier" "us_heavy_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 1 "Pac_Assault" "pac_light_soldier" "pac_heavy_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 2 1 "EU_Assault" "us_light_soldier" "us_heavy_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 2 "Pac_Anti-Vehicle" "pac_light_soldier" "pac_heavy_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 2 2 "EU_Anti-Vehicle" "us_light_soldier" "us_heavy_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 3 "Pac_Support" "pac_light_soldier" "pac_heavy_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 2 3 "EU_Support" "us_light_soldier" "us_heavy_soldier"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gameplayobjects.con OBJECT TEMPLATES

If I missed any or made any mistakes please add it in!

NS also added new skins to some existing vehicles

Note- .setobjecttemplate 1 or 2 corresponds to your team settings. If PAC(AS) is set as team 1 then your corresponding object template should read "ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 AS_TANK"

If PAC is team 2 then the correspong object template is "

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 AS_TANK" etc etc

**Denotes objects that will crash the editor

VEHICLES

TANK ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 AS_TANK

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 EU_TANK

APC ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 AS_APC **

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 EU_APC

WINTER CAMO (NS) APC: ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 eu_apc_alps **

NS HOV (BUGGY): ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 as_hov_light

NS IFV (GOLIATH): ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 eu_ifv **

FAV (BUGGY) ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 AS_FAV

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 EU_FAV

AIRCRAFT ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 as_ag

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 us_ag

WALKERS ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 as_heavy_mech **

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 us_heavy_mech

NOT A GAME VEHICLE ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 AS_APC_PODS **

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 EU_APC_PODS

DROPSHIP ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 AS_At **

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 EU_At

MISSILE SILO

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 0 missile_silo_v2

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 missile_silo_v2

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 missile_silo_v2

ObjectTemplate.teamOnVehicle 1

ObjectTemplate.forwardTeamChangeToSpawnedVehicles 1

STATIC DEFENSE

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 static_aa

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 static_av

COMMANDER TOYS

POD LAUNCHER (NS) ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 static_pod_array_gpk

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 static_pod_array_gpk

POD TRACKER ? (NS) ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 alps_dockObject

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 alps_dockObject

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 Commander_EMP_Strike

ObjectTemplate.minSpawnDelay 360

ObjectTemplate.maxSpawnDelay 360

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 Commander_Movement_Analyst

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 Commander_UAV_Drone_Control

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 Commander_Orbital_Strike

TITAN

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 as_titan_playtest

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 eu_titan_playtest

ObjectTemplate.nrOfObjectToSpawn 1

NORTHERN STRIKE CONTENT

Northern Strike added additional content, including

Hope all this helps. It took me awhile to type :P

list of other helpful topics-

Texture problems?? http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8942

Snow way too bright?? http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9442

Lightmapping in 3ds MAX http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7896

Weather http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9270

Titan Mode http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9220

Loading Screen backgrounds http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9168

Edited by jeffreyrichey

Hey this is quite useful for the noobz :lol::blink:

I have one problem, i made some crazy lot of objectspawners. Some AA and walkers, apc's and tanks and fav

now my problem is, only the AA Guns and titans and Silo's spawn. I Haven't tried in Conquest yet but this is really pissing me off :angry:

Are your objects linked properly with your control points? What I mean by this is that the object spawners must be in the same layer as the control point that they spawn for. (Layers= 16, 32, and 64 player.) I've had problems, even in vanilla bf2, with getting this set up right. For some reason the editor doesn't like having a object spawner present for multiple layers. So after the objects are added to a layer you have to add your next layer then delete all those object spawners and re-add them. Otherwise the object spawners for that layer will not get written to your gameplayobjects.con. Having to do the gameplayobjects.con for each gamemode and each layer can really become a hassel.

*If anyone knows a workaround for this pleeeeeease tell me.

I'm a little bit confused on this so please, shed some light if you will.

"unzip each file into its corresponding folder. For example unzip the effects_client and effects_server zips into the 'effects' folder on your desktop.
Now when you say this, do you mean that we should take the unzipped Effects_client and Effects_server information and put all of it into one folder called "Effects" ? Because if we do that then the following folders "Decals, Textures, Weapons, Geometry" exist in both zips and will want to overwrite.

Therefore, if I am to highlight both of the "Effect" zips and "unzip to [folder named Effects]" it will ask me to overwrite because of the aforementioned situation.

Now I'm guessing that what you meant is to put the Effects_client folders in an Effects_ client folder alongside the Effects_server folder, with its folders, which are both within a general Effects folder.

So, could you clarify that for me? Thanks :D

Another question I have is that after I've opened the editor and added the folders by using the Mod Manager the only objects I can find inside the editor are of the "server" variant.

When I put them in the BF2 Mods folder I put each zip in it's own folder

ex: ...mods/BF2142/objects/Common_server

...mods/BF2142/objects/Common_client

They all showed up in the "Edit Content" area of the Editor and I added them all and hit OK. Unfortunately as stated earlier, when i go to the "resources" area of the Editor and go under BF2142, the only folders that appear are the "_server" ones.

Also! Anytime I open something in the object editor like the ag or a soldier (which I must take from the server file since that's all that shows up) The object is there, but not visible, and there is often a crash when I try to enable physics or play effects

Edited by Luciola

What you said. Create a folder named "effects" or whatever you are unziping. It dosn't matter if its server or client. They both go into the same folder. (effects_client and effects_server unzips into the effects folder, vehicles_server and vehicles_client both go into the vehicles folder, etc etc. To insure that they do not overwrite all you need to do is create the folder that you wish to unzip to on your desktop, name it, then right click on the zips and select extract to. Then extract to that folder. This way the folders will not overwrite themselves. When done place the folder in the objects folder.

When you place a object spawner in the editor there will be no vehicles to select from. Just hit yes then name the object spawner. The easiest way to remember what you wanted for that spawner is to name it after the control point and spawner type (main_base_ag_1 for example.)

Next time you close the editor edit the gameplayobjects.con in your levels editor folder accordingly. REMEMBER that you must also edit the gameplayobjects.con files in your gameplaymodes folder also! otherwise they will not show up.

Next time you load up the editor the object will now show up.

NOTE: The mechs and the apc's will not load in the editor!! If you wish to use these in your map make a note as to wich object spawners you wish to spawn them. Then prior to testing a map edit your gameplayobjects.con files to include these vehicles. When you go to edit the map again be sure to change the vehicles template in your gameplayobjects.con files to a vehicle that shows up in the editor (so it functions as a marker placeholder)

To clarify even further this is what your objects folder (battlefield2/mods/bf2142/objects) should look like when done unpacking all files:

scfp0.jpg

Edited by jeffreyrichey

To clarify even further this is what your objects folder (battlefield2/mods/bf2142/objects) should look like when done unpacking all files:

You sort of missinterpreted both of my questions, but what you wrote was still helpful and I thank you for the feedback so soon.

Ok, so if I were to open up the "battlefield2/mods/bf2142/objects/common folder that is in the screenshot, would I find that inside that folder there is a Common_server and Common_client folder? Or is it just the folders within the zips merged into the main folder? See what I mean? Because when you unzip Common_server, it has "flags" as a folder inside it, if I unzip Common_client, it also has "flags" as a folder, and if I unzip both of those into "Common", the "flags" folders will have to merge.

Secondly, when I was saying that nothing was "showing up" in my editor I meant that any objects that I would bring into the object editor that are from 2142 wouldn't actualy be visible. For instance I opened the ag into the editor and I could see the effects, I could even see the entry points, but the model itself was not visible.

Sorry for the problems.

Edited by Luciola

The client and server files must merge into the main folder. So that effects_server and effects_client both merge into one "effects" folder. Also all subfolders must merge. So, like you said, there is one single flags folder inside of objects/effects. Its simple-just think of it this way. The game and editor references the files inside the objects folder. It dosn't matter if there's extra files in there as long as the folder exists. As long as you right click the zip and choose "extract all" the files should merge correctly. However I would still double check a few files to make sure.

As for the other problem simply put I do not know. I do not mess with the objects editor. But I'm guessing if you unpacked the files wrong then they would't show up simply because the mesh's are not in the right folders.

I'm guessing if you unpacked the files wrong then they would't show up simply because the mesh's are not in the right folders.

Thank you, now it all makes sense, although I figured it out before I got to read your reply.

As for the issue with the models not showing up, again you're right on the dot. What happened is that I had put each unzip in its own folder so that they hadn't merged. When I went to the mod manager and to the content editor and added them into the mod, for some reason only the "_server" files were being read and entered into the mod, therefore the meshes weren't available, but most of the other pertinent data was, like the tweak files and whatnot.

I've got it running now, although I must say that the editor still does crash quite often when attempting to play with things that are from bf2142. Actually, I'd say it crashes alot even when playing around with things from bf2, but I'd suggest that that'swhy the whole program is still considered a beta.

Thanks again for your help, I'll probably be asking for more once I start attempting to spawn things from bf2142 using the guide that's on this thread.

So I'll be talking to you soon.

heh..no problem. Your editor shouldn't be crashing that much though. Does it crash at any one point? How much ram do you have? Also note, as I said above, certain objects will not load into the editor properly. Notably the mechs and APC.

Does it crash at any one point? How much ram do you have? Also note, as I said above, certain objects will not load into the editor properly. Notably the mechs and APC.

Well it crashes when I open certain objects, like the eu_ag, although it sometimes works. I've got alot of ram, about a gig and a half and I haven't attempted to open the mech or the APC as I've heard of the issues invovled: something about the apc having destructible children in bf2142 and vehicles not having distructible children in bf2.

In other news, I didn't have much to do today but follow my gf to college, so I hopped on one of their computer labs and made myself a signature for the forums :lol:

Could someone perhaps make a quick tutorial or show me how to properly edit the GamePlayObjects.con so I can load into my map ingame? I can make the level just fine, but getting the game to realize it's a conquest map, I just don't understand it. I work well with visuals. :)

I'd like that as well. I've made a map and everything looks fine in the editor but when I move the folder to my bf2142 and start bf2142 up, it doesn't show up in my list of available maps in any game mode.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. You have to edit the "Info.desc" in the "your_map" folder so that it actually describes which modes it can be played under.

I just took Belgrade and copied the relevant info, will let you know if it worked.

:EDIT: Ok, so editing the info.desc helped a bit, the map was available in the list of maps. However, when I added it to the list and attempted to start the game, bf said "You must chose a map prior to beginning a game."

So I'm still not there yet.

Edited by Luciola

I'd like that as well. I've made a map and everything looks fine in the editor but when I move the folder to my bf2142 and start bf2142 up, it doesn't show up in my list of available maps in any game mode.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. You have to edit the "Info.desc" in the "your_map" folder so that it actually describes which modes it can be played under.

I just took Belgrade and copied the relevant info, will let you know if it worked.

:EDIT: Ok, so editing the info.desc helped a bit, the map was available in the list of maps. However, when I added it to the list and attempted to start the game, bf said "You must chose a map prior to beginning a game."

So I'm still not there yet.

Make sure the map name inside the .desc file is exactly the name of your map, with any underscores ect.

on my desktop I then created a folder named after each folder in (ea games/ battlefield 2/mods/bf2142/objects)

for example effects, kits, static objects, etc

Do u mean u make a static objects folder and then later u put in the static objects zip in there?

PS I am new and trying to learn so please excuse me if i may have some noobish questions. Thanks.

EDIT3: OMG i cant seem to figure things out. One question and ignore everythign else in this post. Why do we have to unpack the files for objects only? Thanks.

Edited by NadeMaster

Make sure the map name inside the .desc file is exactly the name of your map, with any underscores ect.

Thank you! I'm one step closer to getting in and playing.

After making sure that it was named exactly as it should have been I was able to load the map. However, I couldn't choose a spawn point because the map was a blank gray space with "Default In Game Map" written in the upper left and lower right hand corners.

I'll go look to see if I can find out how to fix that, in the meantime, let me know if you know how to fix this problem.

Do u mean u make a static objects folder and then later u put in the static objects zip in there?

PS I am new and trying to learn so please excuse me if i may have some noobish questions. Thanks.

EDIT3: OMG i cant seem to figure things out. One question and ignore everythign else in this post. Why do we have to unpack the files for objects only? Thanks.

Make a folder for every category of zip file that is in the Objects folder. For Example, the first zip file you will find in the objects folder is Common_client and Common_server. Make a "Common" folder and unzip both the _client and the _server into that folder. Do so for all other zip files as well.

As for why we only unpack for the Objects folder, it's because the Objects folder is the only thing that's primarily different from BF2, the AI folders and most of the other content in BF2, which would already be readily available for the BF2 editor. Nevertheless I'm only assuming this, I'm not particularly sure why we only need the Objects folder unpacked, but that folder is enough work on its own, be grateful that we don't have to unpack every zip in the bf2142 folder.

Edited by Luciola

Interesting, I copied Cerbere Landing's .desc file and edited my map name where appropriate and success! I can load in. However, there are no spawn points to spawn at :(. Can anyone help?

Interesting, I copied Cerbere Landing's .desc file and edited my map name where appropriate and success! I can load in. However, there are no spawn points to spawn at :(. Can anyone help?

Is it that you didn't add any spawnpoints to the map? Or is it that your in game map is not working properly?

because the problem I'm having is that I have spawn points inside the level, but my in game map isn't showing up it just says "Default In Game Map" and is grey, so I can't select a spawnpoint.

but yes, the cerber landing .desc did help me as well.

Did you edit your team settings in you init.con prior to testing the map?

Also your ingamemap will be default until you generate your minimap. Search to learn how to do this if you do not.

Spawn points are also noted in your maps gameplayobjects.con.

So if you add new spawn points you still need to copy or edit your gameplayobjects.con files in your gamemodes folder.

Alright, I got it! Huzzaaah. Apparently my map made it's OWN gameplayobjects.con and placed it in the editor folder. Copied it over to the correct place, packaged the mod and I can spawn! Now If I can only figure out why my weather and textures aren't working....

I followed the weather tut, made sure it was correct and the init wasn't copied over, but nothing coes from the sky, and as for the ground the sound is correct as in when I walk it sounds like I am walking in snow, but it's all green and rocky!

but it's all green and rocky!

Same here.

Secondly, I searched for how to generate minimap and had a hard time finding it but I'm dealing with that now.

Thirdly, where should gameplayobjects.con be? because mine is in the editor folder as well.

Edited by Luciola

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\Levels\Suez_Canal\GameModes\gpm_cq\16

If those folders don't exist in your levels make them, that's the example I used from Suez to make them correct in my game.