Official BF Editor Forums
jeffreyrichey

Working With 2142 In The Editor

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\Levels\Suez_Canal\GameModes\gpm_cq\16

If those folders don't exist in your levels make them, that's the example I used from Suez to make them correct in my game.

Thanks, I'll try that.

:EDIT: Ok so, now I can see the flags, I can see the vehicles, on the minimap, but there is no detail, and there are no spawn points that I can choose from.

Do I have to repack the map?

Or is this an gameplayobjects.con issue?

What should the spawn points look like? Taking into consideration I'm using the teamsettings that are on this thread.

Edited by Luciola

Hmm, that's odd. Try repacking the map definetly, that MIGHT fix it. I'm not really sure, honestly I just stumbled into my working map!

Also, how'd you get the vehicles to show up and work? :D

Edited by Soduka

Hmm, that's odd. Try repacking the map definetly, that MIGHT fix it. I'm not really sure, honestly I just stumbled into my working map!

Also, how'd you get the vehicles to show up and work? :D

I'm not sure if they've showed up or are working yet, but I could see them on the minimap. I just followed the tutorial shown here on how to get them to spawn.

I wanted to know, When you make a spawn point for a flag, does that spawn point only spawn one person? Or is that the only spawn point you need for everyone?

I ask because in Half Life, when you create a spawn point, the amount of spawn points has to be the maximum players on the server otherwise when everyone spawns at the beginning there's not going to be enough spawn points.

So is that similar for bf? Or is one spawn point all you need for one flag.

I ask because each of my main base flags have like... twenty spawn points.

Edited by Luciola

You only NEED one spawn point, but if you have more on one flag the game randomly picks one and has the person spawn in it.

Thanks, and again, can you let me know what a spawn point is supposed to look like in the objects.con file?

rem [spawnPointTemplate: Eumainbase_1_0]

ObjectTemplate.create SpawnPoint Eumainbase_1_0

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe SpawnPoint Eumainbase_1_0

ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser "MeyPoe"

ObjectTemplate.isNotSaveable 1

ObjectTemplate.setSpawnPositionOffset 0/1.25/0

ObjectTemplate.setControlPointId 2

rem [spawnPoint: Eumainbase_1_0]

Object.create Eumainbase_1_0

Object.absolutePosition 445.868/32.313/459.694

Object.rotation 103.094/0.000/0.000

Object.layer 1

that's what my first one looks like.

ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser "Josh"
ObjectTemplate.setControlPointId 1

rem [spawnPoint: PACMAIN_1]
Object.create PACMAIN_1
Object.absolutePosition -4.701/67.967/-249.296
Object.rotation -5.766/0.000/0.000
Object.layer 1

rem [spawnPointTemplate: EUMAIN_1]
ObjectTemplate.create SpawnPoint EUMAIN_1
ObjectTemplate.activeSafe SpawnPoint EUMAIN_1

rem [spawnPoint: EUMAIN_1]
Object.create EUMAIN_1
Object.absolutePosition -16.311/69.299/-239.953
Object.rotation 94.441/0.000/0.000
Object.layer 1

rem ********** Control Points **********
rem [ControlPointTemplate: PACMAIN]
ObjectTemplate.create ControlPoint PACMAIN
ObjectTemplate.activeSafe ControlPoint PACMAIN
ObjectTemplate.setNetworkableInfo ControlPointInfo
ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 0
ObjectTemplate.hasCollisionPhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.physicsType Mesh
rem -------------------------------------
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate flagpole
ObjectTemplate.setControlPointName PACMAIN
ObjectTemplate.team 1
ObjectTemplate.controlPointId 1
ObjectTemplate.unableToChangeTeam 1
ObjectTemplate.hoistMinMax 0.2/0.9

rem [ControlPointTemplate: EUMAIN]
ObjectTemplate.create ControlPoint EUMAIN
ObjectTemplate.activeSafe ControlPoint EUMAIN
ObjectTemplate.setControlPointName EUMAIN
ObjectTemplate.team 2
ObjectTemplate.controlPointId 2

if v_arg1 == host

rem [ControlPoint: PACMAIN]
  Object.create PACMAIN
  Object.absolutePosition 4.151/67.286/-249.027
  Object.layer 1

rem [ControlPoint: EUMAIN]
  Object.create EUMAIN
  Object.absolutePosition -15.808/69.219/-234.582
  Object.layer 1

endIf

CombatAreaManager.use 0
CombatAreaManager.timeAllowedOutside 10.000000

That's what mine gameplayobjects.con looks like. That's as far as my knowledge goes, I'm just starting out. If this doesn't help you, my resources are exhausted, you'll have to ask an expert.

I started using the bf2 editor and i was trying texture and the editor crashed. Not a very good first try. Can someone explain what i did wrong? I was following a bf2 editorial tutorial but usin gthe 2142 files and then it crashed. Is there some special tutroial for 2142? Thanks. O yeah when i loaded the stuff most of it was in red saying it was ignored. Did i do something wrong?

Edited by NadeMaster

ObjectTemplate.setControlPointId 1

rem [spawnPoint: PACMAIN_1]
Object.create PACMAIN_1
Object.absolutePosition -4.701/67.967/-249.296
Object.rotation -5.766/0.000/0.000
Object.layer 1

rem [spawnPointTemplate: EUMAIN_1]
ObjectTemplate.create SpawnPoint EUMAIN_1
ObjectTemplate.activeSafe SpawnPoint EUMAIN_1

rem [spawnPoint: EUMAIN_1]
Object.create EUMAIN_1
Object.absolutePosition -16.311/69.299/-239.953
Object.rotation 94.441/0.000/0.000
Object.layer 1

rem ********** Control Points **********
rem [ControlPointTemplate: PACMAIN]
ObjectTemplate.create ControlPoint PACMAIN
ObjectTemplate.activeSafe ControlPoint PACMAIN
ObjectTemplate.setControlPointName PACMAIN
ObjectTemplate.team 1
ObjectTemplate.controlPointId 1

rem [ControlPointTemplate: EUMAIN]
ObjectTemplate.create ControlPoint EUMAIN
ObjectTemplate.activeSafe ControlPoint EUMAIN
ObjectTemplate.setControlPointName EUMAIN
ObjectTemplate.team 2
ObjectTemplate.controlPointId 2

if v_arg1 == host

rem [ControlPoint: PACMAIN]
  Object.create PACMAIN
  Object.absolutePosition 4.151/67.286/-249.027
  Object.layer 1

rem [ControlPoint: EUMAIN]
  Object.create EUMAIN
  Object.absolutePosition -15.808/69.219/-234.582
  Object.layer 1

endIf

CombatAreaManager.use 0
CombatAreaManager.timeAllowedOutside 10.000000

That's what mine gameplayobjects.con looks like. That's as far as my knowledge goes, I'm just starting out. If this doesn't help you, my resources are exhausted, you'll have to ask an expert.

Just extract the battlefield2142/mods/2142/objects/common_server.zip and common_client.zip into the common folder found in battlefield2/mods/bf2142/objects/common, then make sure you tick common in mod manager in editor to load it, then you will be able to see and place the flags in the editor. No need to edit the gameplayobjects.con ;)

Thank you for the help, but I'm not the one with the problem, it was the other guy. I had to figure that one myself after tinkering for 3 hours. Now if only the editor could accept the mod into the level settings button.

@Nade- Don't use the "mountains" color texture in 2142. It will crash the editor. All the red info in the box when loading up is normal, ignore it.

Also I would suggest doing a complete bf2 map before moving to 2142. All this info is what we have been able to put together from trial, error, and guesswork. Editing 2142 isn't supported by DICE, nor is there any type of "formal" tuts on it.

@everyone else-

Weather-Make sure you changed your weathers .con file's name (light_rain.con, snow.con, etc.) to weather.con when you copy and paste it into your maps folder. Also make sure you added the 2 additional lines into your init.con as said in the tut above. (run weather.con bf2editor, etc.)

Gameplayobjects.con Explained:

The gameplayobjects.con file is a file that tells the game what objects to spawn, their coordinates, and conditions. This includes vehicles, spawnpoints, and also flags. Additionally in 2142 you can set the amount of time it takes to spawn a particular vehicle by adding the line "ObjectTemplate.maxSpawnDelay 30" at the end of the objectspawners info. Where 30 is the amount of time in seconds you wish the object to take to spawn.

Every level has a set of gameplayobject.con files that may or may not differ. The first is located in your maps editor folder. This file governs what the editor loads up by default for your map. It is also the default gameplayobjects.con file the game will reference if your map does not have a gamemodes folder. Inside your gamemodes folder(if you have one) you will also find a number of gameplayobjects.con files. These are the files that will be referenced by the game according to the gamemode and number of players. These files are placed in their corresponding folders according to what gamemode and number of players you want that particular gameplayobjects.con file to be used for. For example you have a folder named "cpm_cq." That folder is for the conquest game mode. Inside that there are 3 folders, each corresponding to the number of players. 16, 32, and 64. Inside each of those 3 folders is a individual gameplayobjects.con file. So a gameplayobjects.con file located in the following directory (your_map/gamemodes/cpm_cq/32) will be used when the map is being run in conquest mode with 32 players. This is used so you can have a differing variety and number of vehicles that are dependent on the particular game mode and number of players (more vehicles for more players, etc)

This is what a 'typical' gameplayobjects.con object spawner looks like (with some explanation to follow.)

NOTE: The first number at the beginning of each line I added for reference. DO NOT add this number to your gameplayobjects.con object spawners.

1. rem [ObjectSpawnerTemplate: Outpost_Main_ag_2]

2. ObjectTemplate.create ObjectSpawner Outpost_Main_ag_2

3. ObjectTemplate.activeSafe ObjectSpawner Outpost_Main_ag_2

4. ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser "Jeff Richey"

5. ObjectTemplate.isNotSaveable 1

6. ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 0

7. ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 as_ag

8. ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 us_ag

9. ObjectTemplate.maxSpawnDelay 30

Explanation-

1. "Outpost_Main_ag_2" This is what you named your objects spawner. I like to keep mine simple so I can easily refererence what should spawn there when I edit the .con file. "Outpost_main" is the control point name while "AG" is what spawns there (the AG, which is the flying gunship thing) and "2" is the spawn number (2 since there are 2 AG's that spawn there, 1 and 2. Note- Don't mess with this line

2. Same as Above

3. Ditto

4. Your username, obviously. Also don't touch.

5. I have no idea what this means. Leave alone.

6. Nor this line

7. This line (ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 as_ag) designates what will spawn at that location. The "1" designates the team number. The as_ag designates what object (in this case the PAC gunship) will spawn there for team 1.

8. Same as above, except now instead of a "1" we have a "2." This is what object spawns there if the control point designated for that object spawner is controled by team 2 instead of 1.

9. "ObjectTemplate.maxSpawnDelay 30" Amount of time it takes to respawn that object. In this case 30 seconds. I'm not sure if this means 30 seconds till respawn of object after it is destroyed or just after someone has taken it. For example in the titans the dropship will respawn quickly after someone has taken it, not just after it has exploded. However alot of times tanks will not until after they are destroyed.

Objecttemplates-

as_ag (for example) is the name for a object template. Object templates, simply out, are objects. As_ag is the name. Well, more specificly the team and the name of the object. Heres a list of the object templates that I know of.

*=Do not use in editor! Refer to first tut for further details

AS_TANK PAC Tank

EU_TANK EU Tank

AS_APC PAC APC*

EU_APC EU APC*

AS_FAV PAC Buggy (haloesk!)

EU_FAV EU Buggy

as_ag PAC Gunship (command&conquere'ish)

us_ag EU Gunship

as_heavy_mech PAC 'Mech

us_heavy_mech EU 'Mech

AS_APC_PODS PAC Drop Pods (used for titan droppods??)

EU_APC_PODS EU Drop pods

AS_At PAC Dropship (stolen from dropship troopers)

EU_At EU Dropship

For some odd reason DICE decided to use US and EU for the same team...the EU. A testament to DICE's organizational skills.

I think thats it

K thanks. I dont think i used the mountains. I may swithc to BF2 first but i like challenging myself so i learn more at once.

EDIT: I guess i did use mountains. Thanks for the help. Curiosity anything else is should look becareful with at the beginning so the game doesnt crash. THnaks.

Edited by NadeMaster

Hehe yeah, DICE didn't even take the time to change all the us_ names to eu, which would have made everything A LOT cleaner. I've been toying with the BF2 Editor for months, I'm ready to be challenged and try BF2142 with the editor. Just getting simple things that take 10 minutes to work with BF2 take 3 hours of code searching for BF2142. It gets annoying, but I'm going to keep at it. Knowing my luck as soon as I finish understanding everything to make 2142 work in the editor, the proper one will be released.

I try adding a vehicle but it comes up with a blank screen. Any ideas why???

EDIT: i got vehicles to spawn. I had to go into the objects manually. A new problem though. I cant spawn and APC. Do i have to do that manually. Also where are buildings? THanks.

Also when I try saving it wants to overwrite a whole bunch of files. Why? Thanks.

Edited by NadeMaster

Please please please read my tut carefully and completly. I understand that sometimes no one can understand what I'm trying to say (It sounds good in my head! :rolleyes: ) But most of what has been asked has been covered. In the tut I specificly say that the APC will not spawn into the editor. Something about it having destructable textures or some such thing. Also the same is for the mechs and I think the dropships will not spawn. When you go to edit your map just change the vehicles objecttemplate to one that works for a placeholder, such as the ag for the dropship or a tank for a apc. On a side note I just figured out what ag stands for, I think. Attack gunship (Assault gunship?)

Where are buildings? To be frank I don't have time to give you a complete tut on how to edit in the bf2 editor. Please look up some tuts so you can figure out how to add static objects, such as buildings. If you simply just don't seem to have any please explain further (in this case you most likely didn't unpack the staticobjects zip correctly.)

What files does it ask to overwrite?

K thanks for the info. The static objects is not there so i guess i have to repack it. I know the buildings are in there and i was wondering why it wasnt on the display. I will try redo it. As for the overwritting it had something to do with roads. THanks for the help.

EDIT Do u know the code for the Anit gunship turret? It crashes the editor. Thanks.

Edited by NadeMaster

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 static_aa

The aa shouldn't crash the editor as far as I know. It dosn't for me.

ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1 static_aa

The aa shouldn't crash the editor as far as I know. It dosn't for me.

maybe i tried puting something else in on accident. I am goign to fix the static objects forlder right now. Thanks for all of the help recently.

PS. I cant figure out what the rotate key is. Mind telling me. Thanks.

EDIT: The problem with static objects was that the editor wasnt loading it so i went into the mod manager and made it so it would load static objects from now on.

Edited by NadeMaster

You have to take your map out of battlefield2/mods/bf2142/levels and place it in battlefield2142/mods/bf2142/levels folder.

As long as your starting a local server through 2142 and not a dedicated server you don't need to "zip" (pack) your map.

And this is the rotate button

rotatexd9.jpg

Thanks for the rotate help. I tried everythign that people have suggested on here so far and i cant find the map in the list for LAN under conquest. i edited the desc file and everyhting. I have it in the right location also. once again not that big of a noob. :P I made the terrain. Put a couple of mountains in and some spawnpoints. Few vehicles and saved all. The editor still wants me to overwrite those road files. I'll take a screenshot of it. So when i go to LAN its not there. I made the gamemodes folder with the subfolders and put in the gameplayobjects.con file and no luck. So please help if you can. Thanks.

Did you copy over the .desc file from Cerbere Landing in the info folder inside of the level folder? bf2142\Levels\my_lvl\Info

Once you do that, if you didn't, open up the file in notepad and replace all instances of Cerbere_Landing with your map name. Then make sure you delete the original .desc file of your map and rename the Cerbere_Landing one your map name.

Edited by Soduka

Did you copy over the .desc file from Cerbere Landing in the info folder inside of the level folder? bf2142\Levels\my_lvl\Info

Once you do that, if you didn't, open up the file in notepad and replace all instances of Cerbere_Landing with your map name. Then make sure you delete the original .desc file of your map and rename the Cerbere_Landing one your map name.

I've done all of that already. I tried packing the mod but that didnt help either. I have a feeling i know what the issue is. Is there a certain part of the making of a map in the editor that u have to reach. I made terrain and put spawn points + a couple of vehicles. Is there somethign else i need to do?

Try opening your map in the editor, go to the terrain editor, and selecting "save as" and save under a new name. Then go check your desc file and such to make sure they are correct.