Official BF Editor Forums

Working With 2142 In The Editor

K i'll make one. I figured out my issues. I am such a fuc**** iditot!!!!!!!!! I change the name in two place in the desc file but on the first line it said Cebre Landing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:<_<:blink::huh::(:o:( I cant believe myself. So i fixed that and tried loading the game and i forgot to move the folder. Finally the level shows up. Now i can choose a spawn point but i cant pick a kit. The area is blank Help!?!?!?!? EDIT Okay i fixed that also. Now i need help with these glitches in the video.

PS How come when i put in a helipad in the editor it keeps getting deleted? Note this only happens with the PAC helipad not the EU.

Edited by NadeMaster

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOTE- for some reason the editor does not save the team settings. Every time you load the map into the editor you will need to redo the init.con team settings.

(or) you can also set the init.con to read only. Make sure you select no when asked to make init.con rewritable. (Thanks Xaritix for clarification)

:D

Yay I helped! rofl

As far as I can tell from the video most of your gliches also happen when editing BF2, check the BF2 forums and see if you can find a solution (like the terrain spikes.)

Could you clarify as to what other gliches you're having? I did notice you have a CP inside the command bunker building.

If your having a problem with the CP's and spawn points not deleting after you deleted them and reloaded a map try deleting your gameplayobjects.con and redoing them. I had that problem.

Did you try running it in debug mode?

I would suggest starting making your map by adding a little at a time then testing often. And always keep a backup of your last working version. So then you can tell what is causing problems.

Phase I: Simple terrain, 2 CP's and spawn points. A little bit of texturing (unless you want to use TPaint) Add water (If you want water)

Phase II: Add a vehicle. A good one for starters is a FAV. I know that one works. Or a tank.

Phase III: Add a building static or a few statics. Maybe a road. Test with weather enabled

At this point if you got everything working right you should be good. But remember to keep a backup of your last working version in case you add or do something that crashes the map.

**Happy editing!

Edited by jeffreyrichey

Run it in windowed mode. Theres no "true" debug mode for 2142 (atleast theres no shortcut in the folder)

Change your 2142 shortcut's "target" (rightclick shortcut then properties) to "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 0"

I have 4 quick questions,

Now that I have finally understood how to get the spawn points working, and the kits, (have not tried vehicles out yet),

I have noticed when I go into my map, and run to take the opposite team's spawn point, I have to be REALLY close to the flag,

AND the time it takes to fully capture the flag is fast!

How do I make the flag capture area/radius bigger, and how do I slow down the speed it takes to capture the flag?

How do you make a NEUTRAL spawn point? (A spawn point that NO TEAM has capped)

How do I set-up the entire map radius? I am talking about the radius in game where people are not allowed to go, or else you hear:

"Where do you think your going?! Get back in the fight!" speech and the timer until you die shows up. It is usually the yellow outer

radius that surrounds the entire map.

Thank you to all who have been posting questions, I have had a tough time getting the map to load, and I found the answers on

page 3 of this post quite helpful.

Also, I did not know if you have explained this well, but (hopefully) I can help some other people out with getting their spawn points to work.

If anyone can load their map, but can NOT spawn in, (you can see your spawn points, but you can not click on any of them to spawn in),

here is what I found that made the map work correctly, so you are able to spawn in on either side (depending on what team you are on)

FOR EXAMPLE: (a map with only 2 spawn points, one for EU, and one for PAC, 16 player CONQUEST)

Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\Levels\"YOUR MAP NAME HERE"\GameModes\gpm_cq\16\GamePlayObjects.CON

To make your map playable so you can spawn in on your spawn points get the "GamePlayObjects.CON" file open in NOTEPAD

GOTO THESE LINES IN YOUR GamePlayObjects.CON file (for me, they were close to the bottom of the file):

rem -------------------------------------
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate flagpole
ObjectTemplate.setControlPointName BASE1
ObjectTemplate.team 1
ObjectTemplate.controlPointId 1
ObjectTemplate.hoistMinMax 0.2/0.9

rem [ControlPointTemplate: BASE2]
ObjectTemplate.create ControlPoint BASE2
ObjectTemplate.activeSafe ControlPoint BASE2
ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser "Mike"
ObjectTemplate.setNetworkableInfo ControlPointInfo
ObjectTemplate.isNotSaveable 1
ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 0
ObjectTemplate.hasCollisionPhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.physicsType Mesh
ObjectTemplate.setControlPointName BASE2
ObjectTemplate.team 1
ObjectTemplate.controlPointId 2

Your code will prolly look something like this, well I found out that with this code above, the game is saying that BOTH spawn points

are owned by the SAME TEAM. You need to change one of them to "TEAM 2" Here is where you do it:

ObjectTemplate.setControlPointName BASE1

ObjectTemplate.team 1 <-------------------------------------- CHANGE TO TEAM 2

ObjectTemplate.controlPointId 1

This is just an example, and it worked for me! I hope this helps others that are about to tear their hair out because of some spawn point problems.

Edited by Schultz

Schultz

When you have your flag selected in the editor, look in the tweekbar, there are settings for all the things you have mentioned... team(0= netral, 1 =team 1, 2=team 2, flag radius, and time to capture are all in there.

Nademaster

You need to "generate low detail textures" for your map, use the search for lowdetail textures, or follow one of the many basic map building tutorials in user tutorials.

I sugest all, that are making a map for 2142, to make a working map in bf2 first.

Schultz

When you have your flag selected in the editor, look in the tweekbar, there are settings for all the things you have mentioned... team(0= netral, 1 =team 1, 2=team 2, flag radius, and time to capture are all in there.

Bensta,

Thank you very much for your help with the flag issues. I have created a few maps in BF2 just to get the hang of the editor. But nothing too big.

I am still wondering about the entire map radius as well. I have seen it on a custom BF2142 map. I was just wondering how it was done.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Yes, certain vehicles crash the editor because they use damage textures, which were not present in BF2, therefor the editor does not recognize them. These vehicles being, to my knowledge, the dropship (AT), APC, walkers, Goliath, Pod launcher. Please add anything I missed. You can still add them to your map however by adding the vehicle into your maps Gameplayobjects.con (here after referred to as a GPO.con.) Please see the beginning of this thread for the vehicle object template list. Keep in mind that the editor only reads the GPO.con in your maps editor folder. The game only reads GPO.con's located in your maps gamemodes folder. To add the vehicles you want just edit the GPO.con in the corresponding gamemodes folder that you want. Theres a more detailed explinatrion buried somewhere in this thread.

And yes, Leviathin propobly does know more than me about unpacking the base levels. I usually stay away from editing or messing around with DICE made levels. Aside from taking the Dragon valley terrain for a conversion I'm doing :)

*Thanks nademaster for reminding me to update the vehicle object template with the NS vehicles

Edited by jeffreyrichey

No problem. I am at this and was lucky and started a new map and it loaded :) But then I couldnt spawn. The init.con was right. I think packaging it may help. There is no texture so that may mean something. At the moment i am back at Dalian plant 2142 and resaving it to work with 1.2. i think that was my probelm earlier. The files in BF2 were still on 1.1 K thanks.

PS Check back often. I am sure I will have more problems to come. :(

Hopefully the issue is this simple- do you have a gamemodes folder in your map folder? The editor will read the gpo.con in your editor folder, but if you don't have any GPO.cons in your gamemodes folder than the game will not have any GPO.cons to read from!