Official BF Editor Forums
IllicitFilms

Windows Vista/7 And Bf2 Editor

I think its the equivalent of 'The application has encountered an error and needs to close' , not revealing very much about how and why.

Try to create a smaller terrain first , like 256 scale 2 or 512 scale 2. If this works the trouble is related to too less memory (RAM) in your machine. You shouldn't probably run Vista on a machine with only 1GB as there will be not much memory left for the Editor - keep in mind the editor loads ALL resources into RAM for working. If creating a small map doesn't work check the above mentioned compatibility settings again and make sure that the new map folder can be created . (Read-only attributes accidently set ? HDD space available ? Are you the Admin ? etc...)

I get the same problem.

I tried to generate a 1024x4 map.It loaded for about 30 seconds then crashed with that error.

My machine is brand new.I have 3 gigs of RAM,~500 gigs hard drive space and I am an admin.

Scale 4 maps are not for beginners. Use a scale 2 to avoid a lot of problems.

I'm not a beginner ;)

And I've tried all other map sizes to no avail

Edited by LekyIRL

I'm not a beginner ;)

And I've tried all other map sizes to no avail

your not a beginner so i guess your all set...lol... x4 maps use the most resources... and if 256x2 maps are crashing for you

then its Visturd... if you have XP you could install that...no more crashes :)

First have a look at the editor log to find out what the editor detected when launching. Does Vista have a compatibility mode ? Try to run the editor in XP emulation , if possible.

Hey, btw, does BF2 run in Vista ? :P

Yes, I am running bf2 and mods on vista but having probs with the editor, none of my saves apear in the levels folder etc

Yes, I am running bf2 and mods on vista but having probs with the editor, none of my saves apear in the levels folder etc

I had this too, try looking here for your levels.....

C:/Users/YOURNAME/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/ProgramFiles/EAGAMES/Battlefield2/Mods/BF2/Levels

Very weird, no idea why it saves to this location or how to change it?

The editor worked fine for me on Vista 32 bit. It refused to uninstall though, the installer complains about 'only been tested on XP'. :lol:

Edit - Oh, and I had UAC off, running as administrator. So I didn't have problems with being unable to write outside of your USER directory.

Edited by ScoutStrike

First have a look at the editor log to find out what the editor detected when launching. Does Vista have a compatibility mode ? Try to run the editor in XP emulation , if possible.

Hey, btw, does BF2 run in Vista ? :P

it runs pretty nice, actually

make sure you run it as administrator

Run BF2 Editor in Xp (compabitaty) and run BF2 as administrator, the game. (Will let you join punkbuster games)

I had this too, try looking here for your levels.....

C:/Users/YOURNAME/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/ProgramFiles/EAGAMES/Battlefield2/Mods/BF2/Levels

Very weird, no idea why it saves to this location or how to change it?

my level isnt updating the changes Ive made to it, I assumed all my saved data was going into this folder but there not in there....would they be located anywhere else?

Edited by zuiquan1

I mod using bf2 using vista (bad choise :P) The problems that come with the editor are...

1 - Once opened the editor make sure u do not copy and paste anything into Program files.

2 - Do not open any program that is run as administrator after u have opened the editor.

The thing that causes the error shutdowns in the editor is making anything go black and pop up with the cancell or allow admin privilages thing.

For max the errors with vista are

1 - u can not display any .dds textures in 3ds max 7 (for me)

to fix this use another texture format and before exporting just go to where the .dds textures are and copy and paste the folder

eg. COLOR: mods/aironeRacing/objects/vehicles/DBS/textures/Land/dbs_c.png (that would display the .png file)

then change that to

COLOR: mods/aironeRacing/objects/vehicles/DBS/textures/Land/dbs_c.dds it won't pop up with error texture not found (unless there really is no .dds texture there)

Instead everything will be grey but when exported, it should show the real textures

Those are my major problems with vista but everything else is fine I also did tell u in the above post to run bf2 stuff in admin and xp!

@rhysm: The best way to avoid crashing when the screen is turning black is to turn UAC off. That avoids having ten pop-ups everytime you run something! Theres also a method on how to avoid the blackness but still have the messages, but i forgot how to, as i always had UAC off.

UAC (User Account Control) is a security function in Vista that requires you to confirm almost any administrative task on your pc. Thats whats making your screen go black and popup a window all the time.

To turn it on/off, go to Control Panel and User accounts, click the bottom option saying something like "Turn user account control on or off" (my windows is danish, so i cant tell the exact phrase).

Now remove the check to turn it off and press ok.

Edited by TNE26

i have a serious problem and im getting pi$$ed...im exporting a weapon i made, ive got the hierarchy and all that perfect, when i go to export it, it exports to my mod file just like its spose to...but not really...because im using stupid vista, it decides to throw my bundlemesh and stuff into the virtual folder or wutever its called...so of course bf editor cant find it...and i dont know how to manually load it into the editor from that stupid folder...please help me. thanks

Load both with administrator or what i do is export it to a diffrent folder then copy and paste it into another. If you have a .tweak or save then use a web browser not run in admin to copy and paste it to like my documents then copy and paste back to the directory

Load both with administrator or what i do is export it to a diffrent folder then copy and paste it into another. If you have a .tweak or save then use a web browser not run in admin to copy and paste it to like my documents then copy and paste back to the directory

ah yeah thats wut i was thinking..but now everytime i make changes to my animation/weapon, goto export and overwrite, it crashes bf2 editor..says "Lost devive. Cannot reload device. blah blah" crash...all i want is a smooth workflow...cuz here is mine right now..."edit model, export, copy form virtual store,paste in mymod folder, overwrite, close bf2 editor, reload bf2 editor..repeat....holy sh$$ it takes a long time..if i gotta test animations i cant simply reload geometry or animation..it crashes b4 i get the chance