Official BF Editor Forums
takiwa

How To Add Ik To Vehicle

Originally posted by [EOD]Vic in another thread, I have quoted it here only so a moderator can pin it.

Yes, Thanks junk for a kick in the right direction! I figured out how to do it. I hear a lot of people say this editor sucks, but in my opinion this is a very powerful tool. I have done some IK in bfv and let me tell you what a pain in the ass it was. But with this editor it is easy as pie.

First bring your vehicle into the object editor. I wanted to make the Loach pilot's hands hold on to the control stick. When I had ther model in max I added the control stick as a RotationalBundle. (IK only works on RotationalBundles and weapons)

Now select your RotationalBundle (mine is "LoachSteering"). Also you will notice that the transform/pivot point for my control stick is located right where the real thing would pivot. Thats becausse this RotationalBundle will move with pilot imput (which is another setup story).

Then rightclick in tweak window and select "add IK Component"

ikcomponet1.jpg

Now you have to put your soldier in the seat. (Which I never knew you could do in the object editor. I knew you could do it in the animation editor but I didn't know you could add a soldier in the object editor.) This is really really helpful for positioning your soldier in a seat properly.

Any way, to put your soldier in the seat (this is assuming you already have a seat object set up) Right click your PCO seat object and that brings up the menu shown in the picture. Go ahead and click "Enter".

seatsoldier2.jpg

Your soldier will now be in the seat but his hands will be ripped off and laying on the floor (at your RotationalBundles pivot point haha. But thats ok.)

Now click on your RotationalBundle in the menu and click on "IK" in the top tool bar. This activates the IK menu on the lower right. Now select any of the options "Left Arm" "Right Arm" Left Elbow" "Right Elbow"

Now when you click on one of these, a little transform appears for that part. When you move it, the soldier's whole arm moves (IK) also rotate like junk says: shift = rotate. Now you'll think rotate is messed up but it's not (I was trying to rotate a certain direction but it woulden't work) but it was because another direction had to be rotated to get it right just keep playing with it you'll see what I mean.

selectik3.jpg

I hope this helps people. If I have anything wrong please feel free to correct it. I'm not very good at writing tutorials and I don't spell very good heh.

Any way, here's my guy with his hands on the stick. Yippee!!!!!!!!

eoddude4.jpg

Now you have to put your soldier in the seat. (Which I never knew you could do in the object editor. I knew you could do it in the animation editor but I didn't know you could add a soldier in the object editor.) This is really really helpful for positioning your soldier in a seat properly.

man, if only i'd know this a year ago, and how simple it was to do... Vic, thanks VERY much for that tip, thanks Takiwa for re-posting it, and also MS for pinning it and making it easy to find :) - no more repeat trips between the animation ed/object ed just to get my guy into position. THANK YOU!

How do You rotate the soldier mine is the other way around and also

How do you make the soldier crouch in the position???

The pose of the soldier is configured through the used 3P animation. There are a few to select from , found in /objects/vehicles/common/animations

The seat is positioned and rotated through the 'seatposition' and 'seatrotation' parameters

Yeah I had this saved offline - one of the most useful tuts around IMHO. I still have trouble getting the elbows right sometimes - the PoleVector properties arent all that intuitive.