Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mschoeldgen[Xww2]

Bf2 Tools For 3ds Max - Setup

A few export related problems suffer from a bad or missing setup of the tools, so here is some explanation. Make sure to have the tools installed , all you need to do is to get the .zip file with the latest tools and drag the folders from it into the /3DS Max folder on your Harddisk. You shouldn't copy the '_Max5' folder , except if you have right that - Max 5 :P The '_BF2Help' folder is not strictly necessary, but contains some helpful documents when looking for the correct shadernames :D

O.k., after launching 3DS run the BF2 Exporter and press 'Run Setup' in its window. A new window pops up , looking like this:

3dsbf2D.jpg

Now fill in the values according to your setup. In my case, the BF2 game is installed in 'C:\Games\Battlefield 2\' and the mod i'm currently exporting to is XWW2. I have included the 'rawdata' path , 'BF2' and my testmod 'EFM' into the possible export pathes in the lower dialog. This is the most important step: Once the exporter finds one of these strings, it truncates the texture pathes ( which are coded into the mesh) to a mod-relative path, meaning your object can run under any mod on any machine without hardcoded absolute pathes.

Note that in this case i'm directly exporting into my mod structure. Your mileage may vary, some people prefer to use the /rawdata path (which is located in your /bf2editor folder ) as described in the official tutorials.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

ok i get the error

"Call needs function or class, got: undefined"

this is the highlighted line of code

lbloutModPath.text = bf2_getOutputPath()

i get this error every time i go to BF2 Exporter

Edited by Dark_Electro

ok i got it work

i had to delete any thing related to bf2 out of every 3ds max folder(more than just what you add to the main directory)

This realy does not help. I still dont get how to get 3Dsmax to work same for tpaint.

Wow, that must be one of the most confusing posts in this forum :blink: It basically says 'i still cannot find a way to use my car for cooking applepies'

3DSMax is a full fletched 3D editing program for creating, animating , skinning and rendering 3D objects. We use it here to create objects for the BF2 world.

BF2_Tpaint is a great helper program to paint (flood ) a map with textures in a few seconds, depending on heightmap and slopes. It generates color- detail- and lowdetailmaps. Although its a cool program , it has nothing to do with any 3D editing at all ;)

"Call needs function or class, got: undefined"

I have this error too,but when I try to put dff file with dff_io from kam script

can anybody hep me?

As stated before , this error happens if you run the tools on a Max version not suitable for the tools .Please name your Max version and we try to work around that error. You should also probably read my answer a few posts above this post.

For Max 9 there are 2 possible solutions. The first is to install the PoE2 tools in the Max 9 version. The second is to only install Rexman's fix.

Rexman has provided a file to fix the original installation :

http://rex3d.net/bf2/files/3dsmax/Battlefi...Max9_Plugin.zip

Extract the zip and replaqce the existing *.DLX file with the new one. This should fix the above error. You still need to create the target object folder manually before attempting an export, though.

The latest tools from PoE2 include all the patches and don't suffer from the folder creation error. If you don't plan to export animated UV's they should work great:

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10199

Animated UV issue: I hear claims that the PoE tools ARE able to export a working tank with animated tracks but i didn't manage it myself. For exporting tanks i use Max 7 and the original tools from Rexman.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

hey every one i have a big problem with the bf2 exporter in 3ds max 9, i installed the plugins i did what was in the instruction and i got something like this:

64560786.png

Please help im a begginer so i cant do it my self.

Answer Please,

7game

BF2 models need a certain structure to export successfully. Have a look at our hierachy help thread where you find structures (hierachies ) of all kinds of models .

Your export scene obviously misses the 'root_bundledmesh_<objectname>' Point helper at the root of your scene.

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5013

Hi there, sorry to be a pest. When trying to setup the BF2 tools (all the ones I've tried - bf2_tools_gmax_1.0b with gmax and poe2 tools with max7), it looks like there is a problem with the filepath. Like whereever there is a space without an underscore it just stops, yet with your picture it shows the entire path with the spaces. Anyone else had this?

BF2_tools.jpg

Well, the standard install path of Battlefield 2 is C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\ , this path already contains 3 spaces and there weren't any complains about the exporter yet. I think the path is only displayed incompletely in your export dialog and the export will probably work.

Simply test with a small static object to see if all goes right.

Umm, I installed the latest PoE tools from August this year IIRC, dragged them into 3dsmax9 folder, but...how the heck do I run BF2 Exporter? I can't find it anywhere.

Well, I have no idea if I did since installing the tools is so crudely described

edit: nvm, got it working, the root folder was actually C/Program Files/Autodesk/3ds max 9

Edited by Outlawz