Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UGHQ_CMDR_Hawk

Converting A Maya Object To Max

unless Maya can output in .max format which i doubt, your options are in order of preference: .3ds, .obj, and .dxf - as far as i'm aware, Maya can export any of those types

Best bet is probably OBJ - although you'll need to inspect all your faces because you'll find quite a number of them will have backwards normals. (Will look inside out)

You may need to run a .001 weld tolerance on all verts...depending on your export/import/format options, it can break the verts. It'll be pretty clear if you've got a problem as it will look completely unsmoothed.

I too think exporting as .obj is the best way as it's so stable for Max it's almost native. I assume Maya has it. It's pretty standard now that most apps read them. I've been bouncing between .obj, .max and zbrush files like a ping-pong ball. I do it with Inventor at work but I can't get our engineers to export anything other than .DXF. I can't confirm if the software doesn't support .obj or if they're too pig-headed and I can't just say "hey retahd, get up out ya seat!". Though the files lose any surface volumes and get interpolated into astronomical poly-counts, it is stable as a .dxf and it keeps UVs.