Official BF Editor Forums
Dark_Electro

Gmax's Uv Mapping

why don't my UV maps look even remotly similar to the ones from EA's tut?

and were is the flaten UV map button or is that one of things they left out

and could this be done with DEEP UV

Gmax is the free version of 3dmax... it is similar to Max... but is limited...

There is a tutorial on this site on using gmax and it shows how to setup textures/unwrap and export... Ill try and find it...

Found that website yet Catbox :P? Hehe that was my problem too. Anyway it is actually very easy to UV map. I just watched one video and then it hit me like a rotten egg :P.

Dogbox

Edited by Dogbox

I couldn't find it... i'll try and find it and post a link... If i get some time i'll try and make a quick step by step for a basic box in gmax...

Found that website yet Catbox :P? Hehe that was my problem too. Anyway it is actually very easy to UV map. I just watched one video and then it hit me like a rotten egg :P.

Dogbox

It would be nice if you find that video link. That would probably help a lot of gmax newbies :P

Lol. I got the link for anyone that may be interested.

Now I did not listen to all the girl's things she said while she was UV mapping a Sword object, but there was only one thing in the video that she said what was kinda important to me. She said she uses planar mapping only.

Now what I at first did not understand was why use planar mapping?

Well now for some of the footage that also got my eye. It was when I saw she make a UVWrap in the modifier stack, and then she clicks it once. Then she select the faces of what she wants to UV map, and then when the faces are selected, she clicks the button "planar map" witch takes the whole texture and squeezes it in the selected faces.

When she clicked "edit" she then took the already selected dots in the UV window and scaled, rotate or moved it to the correct place of the texture in the background.

I saw before she placed them in place, that she selected the faces and then press "edit" and then she scales them to a smallish size and moves them out of the way next to the texture in the UV map window.

A video says almost 1 billion words so download it and look for yourself :P.

Here is the link: http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/;76553

Dogbox