Photo

Need Help To Create A Pirate Ship In Maya 6.0.1.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 simon.blom

simon.blom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

I am creating a new pirate-mod and I need help to make a pirate ship. I have got some photos of the “Black Pearl” from Pirates of the Caribbean. I need help to make the ship in Maya 6.0.1.
First, I need help to make the “prototype” of the ship in Maya. I mean the model, and all pieces like canons, deck, side, front..............
Here is some pictures of the Black Pearl:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Second, I need help with all setups for the ship(speed, movement) and the cannons (effects and other stuff for weapons like cannons)
Also, if I want to do so one player controls 2 or 5 cannons at one time, how do I do that?

I think that you now more about this than me, so you now what more I need to do to have a pirate ship with cannons, that work in my BF2 mod.
So, please.......help me.........

// simon.blom
Posted Image

#2 1/2Hawk

1/2Hawk

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Interests:Plundering, looting, rum drinking, privateering, hacking, slashing, dice games (no pun), muzzleloading, cannon swabbing, planting big hickeys on all the fair damsels

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:22 PM

:unsure:

Some things to consider... you cant attach ladders to moving ships so you'll have to figure out something clever for walking around this ship. Pirate ships with any sort of detail at all are really laggy if they are not statics. If you dont know how to model or code, then creating something like this is going to take you longer than the game will even be around - esp given that BF2 only has one boat in it to study. So start by looking at the RIB to see how to make things float and drive around.

Then assuming you get some help from someone on the other parts - the multiple cannon thing isnt too hard. Generally you'll want to have a rotational bundle the player can turn to control the pitch of several cannon barrels. To this attach a generic firearm which has a multi-fire component with a burst size of 1. Then for each cannon barrel you want, call out an ObjectTemplate.fire.addBarrelName barrel# and space them out down the length of your ship. You will probably be required to do this anyway because once you get over 8 or so PCOs, the ship will lag like no tomorrow.

#3 simon.blom

simon.blom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:01 PM

:unsure: ................

Yeah, .....................

The only problem is that I dont have a clue of how to model................. :(

Please someone give me some basics of modeling and.................. :unsure: .........coding.

/// simon.blom
Posted Image

#4 OLEG-RUSSIA

OLEG-RUSSIA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:16 PM

Hey man if you dont know how to model , i can give you some advices because i am short time 3d artist and know some problems that you get on your way, before start modeling , find some tutorials , try to learn and understand all tools of 3dsmax or maya i dont know what you gonna use i use maya "love this 3dprog"create few boxes and then start play with all tools and modifers, the important thing in begin is understand how , and for what you can use each tool and learn play with them after if you gonna realy start modeling try to model so lowpoly as it possible, try to use premitives to create just shape of object ,look for shape of the object and try to cut it in premitives.It`s long story to took about ,how i have learned till this 3d level as i am now. Meybe later if i wil finish mine Ka-50 and will have some time i am gonna write tutorial for maya.
Here is some screens.
The basic model , created from 2 boxes and 1 cylinder.Tryed to model so low poly as possible because games like BF2 can`t run highpoly models.
Posted Image
End Model look here.
http://bfeditor.org/...showtopic=11522
And don`t forget learning of 3d modeling can take alot of time , i`m learning everything complitely my self,without teachers and other stuff have buyed few books of it and if need some info that can`t find look in them. Have opened maya 8 mounths ago for first time and studing everyday whole free time that i have till late night. The point is why i tell al this stuff is to explain you and make you ready that 3d modeling is not so simple thing for beginner , so you if you start doing something never stop, and work for it to get your project done.
So be ready .

Edited by OLEG-RUSSIA, 18 April 2008 - 11:17 PM.

#5 1/2Hawk

1/2Hawk

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Interests:Plundering, looting, rum drinking, privateering, hacking, slashing, dice games (no pun), muzzleloading, cannon swabbing, planting big hickeys on all the fair damsels

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:39 AM

Im getting the impression this isnt your "only" problem. OK, well then try modelling a plank first. If thats too hard, then you can always walk it. *yarr*

#6 mschoeldgen[Xww2]

mschoeldgen[Xww2]

God-like

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,116 posts
  • Interests:Women, Battlefield , Bass playing

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:11 AM

Here's more data about one of the last frigates of the age of the fighting sail, the tall ship Rose , better known as 'HMS Surprise' from the film 'Master and Commander' , a 22-cannon frigate.
http://www.tallshiprose.org/
Find some plans and pictures on that site. If that doesn't help you you should probably look for a free 3D model with the usual suspects:
http://www.turbosquid.com/
http://www.3dcafe.com/
http://www.3dk.org/

there are more of these sites, use your favourite search enigine :P

Only a note that you are on the 'exotic' side with Maya . Most of the pals around here use 3DS Max and can help you with that. Maya users are a minority in this forum.
-eXperience WW2- coding,modelling,AI support

#7 simon.blom

simon.blom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:10 PM

Do you mean that I need a 3d model to be able to make a pirate ship?
OR, do you mean that I am going use a ready 3d model to my ship?
I thought that I was going to use my pictures and make a pirate ship, not use a ready model.....
Is it easier to make a pirate ship in 3dsmax? People says that 3dsmax is not free.......
But,.....where is there a link to download 3dsmax on this site then?

//// simon.blom B) B) B)
Posted Image

#8 Catbox

Catbox

God-like

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:38 PM

Maya isn't free either... do you have Maya or just the Maya plugin for BF2?
Modelling takes awhile to get good at and there is unwrapping the model for texturing and adding the ability for the ship to move and float...
You should start making a simple box in Maya...unwrap it texture it and export it and get it ingame... Your best bet is to d/l our Pirates mod and make
a fan map with it using all the ships and cannons etc...
Posted Image

#9 simon.blom

simon.blom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

I have the real Maya 6.0.1 (not just plugins).
What do you mean with "making a simple box"?
Whats a fan-map?
Why cant I have a Pirate mod, with a map with only water, and place my ship there?
Posted Image

#10 Catbox

Catbox

God-like

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:41 PM

I have the real Maya 6.0.1 (not just plugins).
What do you mean with "making a simple box"?
Whats a fan-map?
Why cant I have a Pirate mod, with a map with only water, and place my ship there?

You sure can... have your own Pirate mod with your own ship... I was just trying to make it easier by using our already done ships... no biggie...
good luck... :)
Posted Image

#11 simon.blom

simon.blom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:26 AM

You sure can... have your own Pirate mod with your own ship... I was just trying to make it easier by using our already done ships... no biggie...
good luck...

:huh: I did'nt mean like that... :( Of curse I want (and need) help, I just asked, you now... I am not very good at modeling and that stuff.....So, sorry if I dont always understand.
-----------------

I was just trying to make it easier by using our already done ships...

What do you mean? I already have some ships?
Do you now any good topic that desciribes how to modeling a ship in Maya?
I dont now, How do you think that should be the best way to start modeling a Pirate Ship?

PLEASE HELP ME ;) ;)
Posted Image

#12 mschoeldgen[Xww2]

mschoeldgen[Xww2]

God-like

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,116 posts
  • Interests:Women, Battlefield , Bass playing

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:17 AM

You should probably first get accustomed to the way models are prepared to be used in BF2 and its derivates. Thats why we suggested to first model something simple like a box or so and bring that ingame.

A nice looking fighting sail is probably one of the hardest things to model , due to its massive rigging and the required detail.
-eXperience WW2- coding,modelling,AI support

#13 1/2Hawk

1/2Hawk

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:21 AM

Word... :lol: IDK some of them helicopters you guys make are pretty complicated.

#14 simon.blom

simon.blom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:47 AM

So how do I gonna do that box? Please help me! I have no idea, I even dont really understand what you are talking about.....
Please help, and if I understand the modeling process with the box, I maybe later on can start making the ship....

Thank you guys for helping me,.. Thanks a lot ;)

//// simon.blom B) B)
Posted Image

#15 ice_killer

ice_killer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

well i would say take a easyer program like G-max (its free) and start maeking a simple house whit the box

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax
if you insist on using maya
http://www.google.nl...=maya tutorials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users