#1 dodek96_pl

dodek96_pl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:BF2, ArmA 2, ASG.

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:51 AM

I figured it out :)

I made the muzzle emit several particles with collisionEffectName e_dynecho_1. This effect triggers a sound. This works almost like vexp with wreck particles, but they are emitted with more power and they generate a different collision sound. Quite simple and works great! Doesn't generate any lag when playing alone (4x3 GHZ Phenom, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GTS250, Win7), now only M4 muzzle creates this effect, so I have to make some other fx not to make all the weapons sound the same, put them in all muzzles and test with bots. It's possible to do this also with explosions.

I was supposed to upload a youtube video, but server refused. It was an old version though, I'll upload newer and post it here once finished.

Video:

Does anyone know how to change particle material by chance? I tried mapMaterial and material method for p_wreck_01 but no luck.

Edited by dodek96_pl, 18 September 2011 - 12:51 PM.

#2 BEEX

BEEX

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

wow...that sounds really good mate,nice workaround too...only crits would be the echo sounds too crisp and a little too loud,if you have sound editing software,drop the high frequencies a little and raise the mid frequencies a little,to simulate the the echo being absorbed and softed by the environment.
Posted Image

#3 Rhino

Rhino

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:15 AM

This looks like some really nice work! Going to see what are sound guys over at PR think of it :D

Also as a side note I see you have quite a bit of PR content in your mod, which is fine if its just your own personal mod you don't plan to release but if you want to release it to the public, your going to need to have our permission first.

Cheers! :D

Edited by Rhino, 21 September 2011 - 09:37 AM.

Posted Image

#4 dodek96_pl

dodek96_pl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:38 PM

Not to worry, it's my personal.

But you won't use it in PR. No need to make it even more laggy :) If you wish, I can give you the codes, but it does generate some more lag. Although I would love it in PR, it might become unplayable (not likely, but possible).

#5 Rhino

Rhino

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:14 PM

gdgd, and no it doesn't look like we will be using it in PR, although a impressive workaround none the less.

Jaymz']There's a problem with his way of doing this.

When sound reflects off of objects close to the source, the result is known as an "early reflection". The characteristics of an early reflection are completely different to a distant "slap back" from a building or wall, which is also completely different to how sound dissipates in wide-open spaces.

Another issue is sound voices. This would literally triple? quadruple? the amount of sound voices used for each gun shot. Consider 64 players all blasting away, available sound slots would disappear and you'd hear a lot of muting going on.

Very clever idea though. If he made the echo a lot more subtle and distant sounding than it that video it would be much better. Basically what the first response he got in that thread says.

Posted Image

#6 dodek96_pl

dodek96_pl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

Another issue is sound voices. This would literally triple? quadruple? the amount of sound voices used for each gun shot. Consider 64 players all blasting away, available sound slots would disappear and you'd hear a lot of muting going on.

You can of course change the amount of objects emitted.

Well, it is still WIP so we I can sure come up with some much nicer sounds. I'm probably going to do some realism tweaks soon :)

This system will appear in BF2FB Mod with mod team recruitation topic here.

Edited by dodek96_pl, 22 September 2011 - 02:49 PM.

#7 dodek96_pl

dodek96_pl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

I've got another idea. I'll make the particle live shorter and I'll attach echo effect to it. And as collision effect I will use distdel. Will post the results soon.

EDIT:
Forget the distdel as collision effect. You can't hear the echo effect and the distdel is generated multiple times.

Does anyone know how to make a particle use physicsType Point? I used it in the tweak file, but then it didn't have any collision.

Edited by dodek96_pl, 23 September 2011 - 06:55 PM.

#8 JONES

JONES

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

This is incredible, telling from my experiance when serving this is very close to what it sounds irl, i realy like to get my hands on this for alpha project, il send you a pm on moddb! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users